The Call

Way back in 1976, a prophetess told me the following:

The Lord is going to take you to places you never dreamed possible. That which you are doing for Him now will grow into ministries you could not have imagined. Serve Him with all your heart and might.

At the time, I was in school and active in ministries such as SCA, YFC, Sunday School teaching, worship leading etc. After I left school, I always got involved wherever I could be of service.

Servicing my Heavenly Father and His people has always been a priority in my life.

Are You Over Your Husband Yet?

 Excuse me…what sort of a question is that?

 I gave this question much thought and realised that the person who asked me, really cannot understand what the loss of one’s spouse represents…  so let me try to explain, from a widow’s perspective.

 Everyone who has lost someone will grieve and that grief is very real. But people who think they understand what it feels like to lose a husband, when they've never lost a spouse themselves, cannot understand.  All grief is valid and should not be minimised.  However, the loss of one’s spouse is very different.

 A married couple is joined as one (Mark 10 v 8  "and the two shall become one flesh’; so then they are no longer two, but one flesh"). When a spouse dies, you are ripped apart. Part of you is torn away.  Your 'nearest and dearest' is gone. The one who supported, cared, and  understood etc., is gone.

 The loss of one’s husband also means the loss of:

  1) financial security/income

  2) identity as loss of identity as a wife is huge.  Suddenly, the “Mrs.” is dropped and you are referred to as “Ms”.   I am NOT a “MS”!

  3) co-parenting

  4) shared responsibilities (e.g. bills, house work, maintenance, garden, decisions, vehicle, cooking, etc)

  5) major source of regular emotional support

  6) normal daily life/routines

  7) intimacy (physical, mental, emotional and sexual)

  8) close company/confidante (loneliness)

  9) dreams/plans/anticipated future (bucket list is wiped clean.

10) travel companion  

11) security/protection (I know God is our protector ultimately but I feel very vulnerable without my husband with me)

12) friends and social life

Losing my husband has affected every area of my life.

I go to bed and one side is empty. I’ve changed to a single bed.

I wake up each morning and my prayer partner isn't there.

I miss the deep conversations we had. 

He is no longer there to talk to, confide in, support me, look after me and be there for me.

I battle to make decisions by myself now.  He always knew what to do and how to solve an issue.

 Tears do somehow ease the heart-burning pain of grief.  In some unexplained way, grief brings a measure of hope.  The Bible mentions widows over 60 times so we are obviously very close to God’s heart.  He is our hope.