The Call

Way back in 1976, a prophetess told me the following:

The Lord is going to take you to places you never dreamed possible. That which you are doing for Him now will grow into ministries you could not have imagined. Serve Him with all your heart and might.

At the time, I was in school and active in ministries such as SCA, YFC, Sunday School teaching, worship leading etc. After I left school, I always got involved wherever I could be of service.

Servicing my Heavenly Father and His people has always been a priority in my life.

Adopt-a-Granny

I only knew my one grandmother.  Granny Dryden, as she was fondly known, was my Mom’s mother.  My Dad’s mother died before I was born, but she had a sister, Aunt Isabel, who could have passed as a grandmother.  Both ladies loved me dearly and I them.  This time of lockdown has me thinking about the elderly who live alone, or who are living in care centres.  Their children may have busy lives, or live great distances away or simple neglect to visit and care for their parents.
Biblical scholars state that Joseph had probably died by the time Jesus reached adulthood.  As the first-born son, it would have been His responsibility to care for his mother.  When He was crucified, what happened to Mary?

John 19:26-27:   Jesus saw his mother. He also saw the disciple (John) He loved very much standing there. He said to his mother, “Dear woman, here is your son.”  Then he said to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” So after that,  John took Jesus’ mother to live in his home.

Suggestion:  Befriend a lonely, elderly person.  Invite them to your home for Sunday lunch, or to spend a weekend.  Spoil them on their birthday and at Christmas.  Take care of their basic needs – it won’t cost much to buy some new pyjamas, underwear or warm jacket.  Have a heart like the disciple John.  “Adopt-a-Granny”

Prayer:  Father God, one of Your commandments told us to honour our parents.  And yet, there are so many elderly people who are neglected and forgotten by their families.  Show me/us Lord, how I/we can make a difference.  Lead me/us to the one who can benefit from some love and attention.  In Jesus Name. Amen.

Blessings