The Call

Way back in 1976, a prophetess told me the following:

The Lord is going to take you to places you never dreamed possible. That which you are doing for Him now will grow into ministries you could not have imagined. Serve Him with all your heart and might.

At the time, I was in school and active in ministries such as SCA, YFC, Sunday School teaching, worship leading etc. After I left school, I always got involved wherever I could be of service.

Servicing my Heavenly Father and His people has always been a priority in my life.

Using His Name in Vain


In John 14:13-14, Jesus gave us permission to use His Name when praying.  (see Day 07)
Today, let’s look at the opposite uses of  His Name.

In the  2nd of the 10 Commandments in Exodus 20 v 7 Father God says :  “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain [that is, irreverently, in false affirmations or in ways that impugn the character of God]; for the Lord will not hold guiltless nor leave unpunished the one who takes His name in vain [disregarding its reverence and its power]  (Ampl). 

God’s Word translation puts it like this:  Never use the name of the Lord your God carelessly. The Lord will make sure that anyone who carelessly uses his name will be punished.”

One of the most common ways of using the Lord’s Name in vain, is as an exclamation of surprise.  The word “swearing” means treating something sacred with abuse, contempt or irreverence.  How many times do we carelessly and often, without even thinking, say things like?:  Oh my G*d;  My L*rd;  G*d dammit; J*sus Chr*st; Oh for G*d’s sake; Good G*d.
Using His Name frivolously, dishonours Him. Are our prayers going unanswered because, when, although we pray in the Name of Jesus, we have no interest in doing what He tells us?  This too is using the Name of Jesus in vain. 

Suggestion:  Let us not become desensitised to the wrong use of the sacred Name of God.  Challenge yourself to not let any Name of our Lord leave your lips, except to bring Him honour and glory.  Seek His Will and pray accordingly.

Prayer:  Thank You Father for Your loving mercy.  I ask You to forgive me for each and every time I have used Your Name in vain.  May the words from my mouth and the thoughts from my heart be acceptable to You, O Lord, my Rock and my Defender. Amen.  (Psalm 19:14)